An Introduction to Data Mining and CRM with Case Studies
Part 1: An introduction to data mining
- The definition of data mining.
- Discussion of the infrastructure requirements for data mining .
- The types of data mining results.
- How businesses are improving their decision making using these results.
- Case studies in predictive modeling, customer segmentation and GIS. Case studies are based on projects from finance, telecommunication, insurance and retail.
Part 2 : An introduction to CRM
- What is customer relationship management?
- Description of a CRM business process including the supporting data mining and campaign management processes.
- A review of the technology infrastructure organization are trying to build to permit closed-loop marketing.
- A review of a CRM segmentation case study.
Gary Saarenvirta has been working in the business intelligence industry for the last 8 years. Gary joined The Loyalty Group in May 1995 to manage the creation and day to day operation of the AIR MILES STAR (Strategic Targeting, Analysis and Results) system. The STAR system is a marketing data warehouse that currently contains over 6.5 million customer records and over 1 billion transaction records. For the last 3 years he has played a key role in the development of and been principal consultant at Loyalty Consulting. Loyalty Consulting is a business unit of The Loyalty Group providing data mining and data warehousing services to Global 2000 corporations. Loyalty Consulting has recently provided consulting services to the finance, telecommunications and retail industries in Canada, the U.S. and Southeast Asia.
Prior the joining The Loyalty Group, Gary was a senior consultant at METEX Systems Inc; a software development and consulting firm specializing in object-oriented client-server application development. Gary also worked for 3 years as a researcher at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace studies, following completion of his Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1988.
Gary currently writes articles and speaks at conferences about the business benefits of data mining and data warehousing. Some of Gary’s recent articles can be found in the fall 98 and Spring 99 issues of DB2 Magazine which can be read online at www.db2mag.com and in February 99 issue of CMA magazine. Gary also co-authored a book on data mining using IBM’s Intelligent Miner for Data. This book is available at from IBM on-line at www.redbooks.ibm.com where it can also be ordered in hard copy. The book’s title is “Intelligent Miner for Data Applications Guide”.